THE CLIMATE KELPIE BLOG: Northern Australia monsoon prediction
Improve the simulation and the prediction by rainfall-related products for agriculture in tropical Australia, focusing on wet-season onset (on the seasonal timescale) and on monsoon bursts and breaks (on the intraseasonal timescale).
2010 – 2014
In May 2013 the Bureau started using POAMA-2 forecasts for its official seasonal climate outlook. POAMA-2 includes a new ocean data assimilation system. The new ocean data assimilation system in POAMA-2 has led to an increase in SST forecast skill in the Pacific Ocean, mostly due to significant improvements in the assimilation of salinity.
Currently there are two versions of POAMA-2 forecasts, seasonal and multi-week forecasts. The skill of POAMA is similar in both versions in regard to the wet season onset. The improvements have led to skill improvements and should form the basis for the next version of POAMA. This system is state-of-the-art and paves the way for further developments in future.
The North Australian Wet Season Onset webpages has a brief description of the project details and can be found at the POAMA Experimental website.
The new wet season onset webpage for real-time forecasts is now also available. This website shows the seasonal outlook details for the coming wet season onset, maps of the onset dates for El Nino, La Nina, neutral and All Years, forecast accuracy using different start dates (June, July, August and September) and information about the outlook.
The skill of POAMA is relatively high in simulating the climate variability associated with the El Nino-Southern Oscillation and the wet season onset dates. However, as has been identified in this project, POAMA is unable to replicate the observed trend to wetter conditions (and earlier wet season onset dates) in north-western Australia. We therefore recommend more research on this topic.
Phone: 03 9669 4000
- SAM goes up, SAM goes down— southern Australia’s climate gets turned all around
- Visualising the impact of climate drivers in your backyard
- Another dry monsoon prompts research into changing summer rainfall patterns
- Keeping a watchful eye on the seasons pays off for this farming family
- Same, same, but different – the two faces of El Niño
- Efficiency essential to business success
- Take a load off your mind with the Cattle Heat Load Toolbox
- Extreme event early-warning forecasts tested under local spotlight
- Indian Ocean in the climate ‘driver’s seat’ for 2019
- The air above Antarctica is suddenly getting warmer
- App puts current CliMate into perspective
- When it comes to rainfall – all bets are off
- Regional ‘Climate Guides’ to inform on-farm risk management
- Soil moisture monitors lift the veil on the root zone
- Climate forecasting drives a land-centred approach to cattle farming
- Better decisions flow as climate skills grow
- Obituary – Barry James White
- Diversification reduces risk in a changing environment
- Dairy cows beat the heat with free alert service
- New understanding of the drivers behind hot and dry conditions over Australia’s north-east