THE CLIMATE KELPIE BLOG: Climate Analyser decision-support system tools
Deliver a set of next-generation user-friendly climate risk management tools that farmers can easily access to query weather data.
2010 – 2012
Progress to date
The Australian CliMate (CliMate) app for iPhone, iPod and iPad was released on the iTunes app store in December 2012.
A web version was released in March 2013 to help a broader range of users.
The app sources data from the Queensland Government’s SILO climate data, which is an enhanced version of the Bureau of Meteorology data.
It delivers recent weather data and likely climate probabilities.
It is the first app to ‘interrogate’ long-term weather statistics using a set of decision-makers’ questions.
Seasonal outlooks are given, based on analysis of Pacific and Indian Ocean sea surface temperatures, and provide a measure of past skill for the forecast.
CliMate can also calculate heat sums, and estimate soil water and soil nitrate accumulation in fallows where soil water is important for cropping prospects.
CliMate has 7 tools:
1. How often?
Example: What is the chance of planting rain based on an amount of rainfall over so many days?
2. How hot-cold?
Example: When determining an ideal sowing date, when are cold stresses lowest for the optimum flowering time?
3. Season’s progress?
Example: When adjusting inputs during a crop or pasture season, how does the current season’s heat sum compare with previous seasons?
4. How wet? N?
Example: How much water and nitrate have I stored over the fallow?
5. How likely?
Example: Based on current ENSO conditions, what is the probability that rainfall is greater than key thresholds?
6. How’s El Nino?
Example: What is the current ENSO status based on key atmospheric and oceanic indicators?
7. How’s the Past?
Example: What have been the monthly and annual temperature summaries in the past?
Dr David Freebairn
Phone: 0408 876 904
- Old dog, new tricks – new look Climate Kelpie website unveiled at Cotton Conference
- Meet the Expert – Alister Hawksford, BoM
- Meet the expert – Neil Cliffe, Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- Meet the expert – Graeme Anderson, Agriculture Victoria
- Meet the expert – Jon Welsh, CottonInfo
- Meet the Expert – Dale Grey, Agriculture Victoria
- Meet the expert – Meredith Guthrie, DPIRD
- How to use the CliMate app
- December 2017 mega storm, observed outcomes
- 2017/18 summer second hottest on record
- How to read an SST Anomaly map: El Niño and La Niña, Indian Ocean Dipole
- Learning from the past, looking to the future
- Seasonal climate forecasting and its use in farm decision making
- Pacific Ocean temperatures and its effect on Australian climate
- April workshops: Climate in the Top End
- ClimateDog animations go national
- Can advances in mid-term weather forecasts reduce emissions from nitrogen fertiliser?
- Increasing POAMA’s seasonal forecast value
- We’re looking for a National Coordinator
- National climate dogs let off the leash!