Managing Climate Variability Climate Champion program
- What is the Managing Climate Variability Climate Champion program?
- Who funds it?
- Who are the farmers taking part?
The Managing Climate Variability (MCV) Climate Champion program aims to help farmers manage climate risk by:
- giving farmers the best climate tools, products, practices and seasonal outlooks, and an understanding of how they might use that in their farm business
- giving climate researchers a chance to interact with farmers and get feedback about what regions and industries need from research.
20 Australian farmers from around Australia, representing most major agricultural commodities, currently take part in the program.
They have opportunities to:
- talk with researchers about the tools and information they need to help them manage climate risk
- trial early research products and practices, and possibly influence the research
- influence how research findings are communicated to farmers
- help farmers in their region and industry learn how to deal with the variable and changing climate.
The program is a finalist in this year's Banksia Sustainability Awards for Leadership in Citizenship and Communities. It was also a runner up for the 2011 Eureka Prize for Advancement of Climate Change Knowledge.
The program, through the Managing Climate Variability program, is also supported by our rural research and development partners:
- Grains Research & Development Corporation
- Meat & Livestock Australia
- Cotton Research and Development Corporation
- Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation
- Sugar Research Australia
Click on a farmer's name in the table below to read about how they are working with the climate.
JRegistry Object ( [data:protected] => stdClass Object ( [pathwaypage] => 1 [pathwaytype] => 1 [tabledisplayscale] => 0 [tabledisplaycost] => 0 [tabledisplaytopic] => 0 [tabledisplaymember] => 1 [tablesubpagetitle] => Climate Champion ) )
JRegistry Object ( [data:protected] => stdClass Object ( [pathwaypage] => 1 [pathwaytype] => 1 [scale] => [topic] => [member] => [cost] => [summary_commodity] => [summary_region] => [tabledisplayscale] => 0 [tabledisplaycost] => 0 [tabledisplaytopic] => 0 [tabledisplaymember] => 1 [tablesubpagetitle] => Climate Champion ) )
Print-ready documents you can download
A 48-page book describing the Climate Champion program and profiling each of the participating farmers is now available for download.
Download Climate Champion book [PDF 5.3 MB]